Pages

Monday 17 November 2014

Rashmi Agarwal - Fine Silk Artist


Qatar is buzzing with a lot of talent these days and we found a hidden mentor of Fine Silk Art. She is not only a charismatic, passionate down to earth prominent artist, but also a facilitator for budding artists. Meet the popular fine silk artist Rashmi Agarwal who has gone an extra mile of creating a platform for the professional as well as amateur artists to enhance their passion and career.


Time to sip a cup of tea or coffee and read on that chit chat we had with Rashmi!

When and where did your journey of Art begin?
Art was always my passion. Even after my management and law degree, I was enthusiastic about Art. I took Art as a profession in 2005 while I was still working.

How do you get inspired to do a project?
I can't live without painting. It soothes me like meditation and gives me energy.

When you came to Qatar in 2004 what was prevailing of Fine Silk Art here? Was it existing? 

In 2004, when I began my silk painting, there were only a handful of  silk artists in Qatar. Hardly anyone knew about fine silk art. So, I was determined to initiate silk painting as a professional art in Qatar and other GCC countries. When I started introducing it became very popular within a short period of time because of its beauty and elegance. Fine Silk Art is now known for wall hanging, home Decor and also for wearables.



Are you having a fulltime career other than being an Artist?
I worked as an Executive Officer for a Water & Waste Management company but my passion towards Fine Silk Painting took me to do this professionally as a full time Artist. 

What are the organizations and places you are working with or volunteering for with regard to Art?
I am currently a board member of USA- SPIN and Community Instructor at VCU, Qatar. I am also working at Souq Waqif Art Centre. I run my own Art Studio, while trying to develop many art courses/workshops and exhibition as the President and Founder of MAPS Qatar.  

MAPS is an organization that is helping many budding artists as well as famous artists as a platform to pursue their dreams. What really made you initiate such a non-profit organization?
Qatar is a country with a rich culture. It has a lots of potential for art. It is one of the most beautiful countries that provides many platforms for budding and professional artists to pursue their dreams. There are many people with hidden talents, I am facilitating them an engaging arena to expose their capabilities in art.

What has MAPS achieved so far?
MAPS is really fulfilling many people's dreams and nourishing their career. It is providing large scale Exhibitions and also many forms of  art workshops and classes for everyone, building their confidence and self esteem.

What is the feedback and support you are getting from the local society?
Initially we had only few members but currently we are more than 65 members just within few months. It's one of the best achievements any community can be proud of.

What are you working on right now?
I am trying to establish different art workshops and courses for beginners as well as professionals for both elders and kids with their art exposure in Exhibitions. In fact we have now started casual classes at Katara Cultural Village on many techniques and all are welcome to join and benefit. MAPS facebook page has all information about our activities.

What is the support you get from your family in pursuing your passion and community work?
Family Support is my biggest asset to achieve this success.without their support, I could not have come this far.

Enjoy some of Rashmi's elegant paintings and projects.....


Our thanks to Rashmi for taking the time to talk to us in spite of her busy schedules and we wish her all the best.

All details about Rashmi and MAPS can be found at www.rush360.qa by searching for Rashmi or Artist or MAPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from each one of you and we will try our best to answer each of you. Please keep your comments healthy and constructive! Thanks!